Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Though Crowed!!!!

In today’s blog I will explain one of Serena’s worst tennis experiences.

Retell:

The 2001 Indian Wells Masters tournament was one tournament her and her family never forgot about. This tournament takes place in the desert so it gets extremely hot out there. Both Serena and Venus had qualified for the semi-finals. Before they got qualified Venus had a really though game. It wasn’t an easy win at all. Sadly Venus had injured her knee and wasn’t sure if she would be able to play in the semi-finals against her sister. The day of the tournament had arrived and Venus knee had not healed. Venus knew she had to pull out of the tournament. The problem was that everyone was excited for this match. It was a big event. So big that no one wanted this match to be canceled.

Venus was kind of like a rising star, so she did not have much power or much attention as the other classified tennis girls. Every time Venus tried to say that she couldn’t play in today’s match, she had a stiff-arm from the trainer. He kept telling her to hold off any kind of final decision (hopping that she wouldn’t withdraw). This went on for hours. No one would take her seriously. It was cleared that all the tournament officials were stalling. Right before that match was supposed to start the tournament spokesperson finally got on the loudspeaker and announced that Venus was withdrawing due to injury.

The whole place went nuts. The fans were all mad because they had paid good money to see the game and the television people paid for good advertising. The one thing Serena did not get, is why all the hate was directed towards her. The tournaments officials did not try to do anything to bring some of the anger down. Serena even started hearing a rumor saying that her dad had had plan for all of this to happen. That he had manipulated everything to plan which sisters would go through the next round which is not true. During the semi-finals it got even worst. Every time Serena would do something good they would boo. Whenever her opponent did something good they cheers, or when she would do something bad they would still encourage her. When Venus and her dad walked in everyone booed even harder and that’s when she realized they were booing about the whole canceling the semi-finals game (since she’s related to Venus.) This went on for the entire game.

Serena ended up winning the game. After the game she swore never to go back to that place or participate in that tournament. ‘Till this day the William sisters never participate to that tournament.


Relate:

I can’t relate to her in this situation because I have never had a whole bunch of people hate me, especially for something my I didn’t do. I don’t know what I’ve would of done if I was in that situation. I am impressed that she kept her cool all along with insulting or giving them back the reaction they were trying to get out of her. I don’t have much to add because it really shocks me that everyone was being disrespectful and were not behaving even though did they not like what her and her sister had done.

Reflect:

I learned that Serena really cares about her family, because through the whole time she kept her cool and defended her sister and her dad through everything. Even though everyone was screaming she did not break down and stood tall.

Match book entry:

Jehovah is your strength. U R strong. As you walk through the deepest shadows, your fear nothing. You move from strength to strength. God Jehovah is with you.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Dorianne ! I've hurd about Serena but with what I've read today I can tell she does'nt mind about what others think of her and that shes strong and cares about others. I think that she's the kind of person we should look up too

    thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job Doriane!I do feel bad for her because everybody was blamming it all towards herself, her dad and her sister. Its always good to keep your cool in a situation like that and like Elka posted we realy should look up to her in big respect. She did what she had to do to make things right.

    thanks for the great follow up!

    ReplyDelete