
Before I start I just wanted to apologize for those who wanted to know about Lewis Hamilton. I changed my book because I was really confused and didn’t understand what I was reading. There where a lot of technical terms about motor racing that I didn’t understand. It was just easier to take another Book.
On the other hand, I chose another book. I am 100% sure that I’m going to like this book. Reason number 1 is that I already know the athlete, because I watch her play on television all the time. Her name is Serena William. The book was written by Serena herself with the help of Daniel Paisner, and it is called Serena Williams - On the line.
Retell:
So far I’ve only read the introduction. The introduction stars out with her being at the U.S open quarterfinals with older sister, Venus, (She lost against her at the quarterfinals but still cheered her on the rest of the way). The one thing she hates about playing with her sister is that it is always a huge battle trying to beat her. They’ve gone against each other so many times that the already know each others strategies. So they know each others techniques, when they play it and how. The only difference between her and her sister is that her sister always thinks about her strategies before the day of game, where has she figures it out right before the game. Her sister is capable of keeping her cool way more then Serena. When ever Serena stars to get frustrated you can see it clearly. One of the great things about tennis that Serena loves is that it doesn’t give you much time to dwell on your mistakes. If you think about it you end up making even more mistakes. Serena also loves it when the game is fun. When there is a lot of action and thrill going on because she knows that fans pay a lot of money to come see the game, and her. She’s honored that people take the time to come watch her play her favorite sport. The one thing Serena keeps around her all the time is her match book. That’s where she writes all of her quotes and strategies for her games. She writes about her weaknesses, and her strengths. During changeovers she always reads a couple of quotes and strategies to inspire her.
Relate:
I can relate with Serena is the way she likes to practice a lot to get better at what she does. I like playing sports especially basketball and track. I tend to get lazy sometimes but I still practice to improve myself. I also relate to her when she says that when ever she plays against her sisters it’s harder to win and to do new things because they know each others strategies. When ever I play or do something with my sister I already know what she’s going to do or the way she does something because I have know her for like my whole entire life. But we still have so much fun together because we sometimes mix it up like she does with her sister. And it’s always fun trying to beat my sister!!!!
Reflect:
So far I learned that she has won the gold metal in women’s doubles with her bid sister Venus at the Beijing Olympics I also know that she trains with her Dad and that she has two older sisters. That is without counting her older sisters Yetunde, who was shot and died. I’ve learned that she has always liked tennis and that she’s always been training with her family since the age of 8. The last thing I’ve learned about Serena Williams is that before every game she says to her self “You are capable of anything, Serena”
(At the end of each bog I will write one of her match book entries)
You are the one with 7 Grand Slams, not her. You are #1. Play with a purpose. You will move forward. You will look at ball. You are the best in the world. You will fight for every point. You won’t be afraid. It is not in your vocabulary. It is not in your nature. It is not in you, period!!! NO FEAR!!!!!!!
Seems like an awesome book choice! Very good analysis of what you've read! Great job!
ReplyDelete